Licensure Renewal Requirements
The CE earning period for the 2018 renewal period is November 1, 2017 through October 31, 2018. According to 201 KAR 20:215, validation of CE/competency must include one of the following:
- Proof of earning 14 approved contact hours, OR
- A national certification or recertification related to the nurse's practice role (in effect during the entire period or initially earned during the period), OR
- Completion of a nursing research project as principal investigator, coinvestigator, or project director. Must be qualitative or quantitative in nature, utilize research methodology, and include a summary of the findings; OR
- Publication of a nursing related article; OR
- A nursing continuing education presentation that is developed by the presenter, presented to nurses or other health professionals, and evidenced by a program brochure, course syllabi, or a letter from the offering provider identifying the licensee’s participation as the presenter of the offering; OR
- Participation as a preceptor for at least one nursing student or new employee undergoing orientation (must be for at least 120 hours, have a one-to-one relationship with student or employee, may precept more than one student during the 120 hours, and preceptorship shall be evidenced by written documentation from the educational institution or preceptor’s supervisor); OR
- Proof of earning 7 approved contact hours, PLUS a nursing employment evaluation that is satisfactory for continued employment (must be signed by supervisor with the name, address, and phone number of the employer included), and cover at least 6 months of the earning period.
- Certain college courses may be used to meet the CE requirements. Nursing courses, designated by a nursing course number, and courses in physical and social sciences such as Psychology, Biology, and Sociology will count toward CE hours.
Note: One semester credit hour equals 15 contact hours; one quarter hour equals 12 contact hours.
Mandatory CE Courses Required for Licensure Renewal
Click on the link below to access a list of Mandatory CE courses required for licensure renewal.
APRNs Must Earn Pharmacology CE
APRNs are required to earn five contact hours of pharmacology education each licensure period. APRNs with a CAPA-CS are required to earn 1.5 approved CE contact hours on the use of KASPER, pain management, or addiction disorders. Please view this
page for a free training opportunity regarding House Bill 1 provided by CECentral. These hours may count as part of the required pharmacology hours.
Effective March 14, 2008, 201 KAR 20:220 was amended to reflect that pharmacology CE hours earned from a provider that is recognized by one of these National Nursing Organizations
will be acceptable to meet the APRN pharmacology requirement of 201 KAR 20:215.
When a License Will or Will Not Be Renewed
- Clicking the "submit" button DOES NOT renew your license.
- Renewal applications submitted after close of business on a Friday will not be reviewed or renewed until the next business day.
- Applications received before midnight, Eastern Time, on October 31st MAY be eligible for renewal on the next business day.
- A license that is not renewed before midnight, Eastern Time, on October 31st, will lapse, and the individual cannot practice as a nurse until the license is renewed.
- When requested, letters of corrections, letters of explanation, certified court documents, and/or certified copies of Board orders, must be received before midnight, October 31st, or the renewal application will not be processed and the license must be reinstated.
NOTE: If you answer "yes" in error to a disciplinary, criminal history question or military question in error you may fax correction documents to 502-782-2754.
What You Will Need To Renew
- Last four digits of your social security number,
- Your date of birth,
- License number (s)
- Payment method (credit/debit card or checking/savings account )
When required, the following documents must be received before October 31 or your license will lapse, and you must reinstate:
- A letter of explanation
- Certified copy of the disposition page of a felony and/or misdemeanor conviction
- Board certified copies of actions taken by another professional board of licensure, other than KBN
- Certified copies of documents from a national certifying organization
NOTE: If you answer "yes" in error to a disciplinary and/or criminal history question you may fax correction documents to 502-782-2754.
Access the Renewal Application
NOTE: License cards are not issued when a license is renewed. You can change your name or renew in any order. Click on the link for more information on changing your name.
APRNs: If KBN records reflect that your national certification has expired, you will be unable to renew. Fax a copy of current national certification to 502-429-3336 (Lvl) ONLY if KBN records reflect expired national certification.
Click here to Validate that a license has been renewed.
To relinquish your APRN license and renew only your RN license, click on Renew an RN license and relinquish an APRN license.
Using a newly designed drop-down selection menu, you will be able to select from the following:
- Renew your RN license and relinquish your APRN license
- Renew your RN and APRN licenses
APRN's licensed in two designations will also have the options listed above, as well as:
- Renew your RN license and APRN licenses in designation #1 and designation #2
- Renew your RN license and APRN license in designation #1
- Renew your RN license and APRN license in designation #2
NOTE: If you relinquish your APRN license, you will be unable to practice as an APRN in Kentucky.
If KBN has your current, valid email address, you will receive a notification:
- Before renewal period begins
- Two weeks before renewal ends, if you have not renewed
- When your license has been renewed
To receive KBN emails, add listserv.ky.gov to your email address book.
KBN DOES NOT DISTRIBUTE EMAIL ADDRESSES TO THIRD PARTIES.
KRS 36.450 and KRS 12.355 require KBN to renew the license, without the required renewal fee and continuing competency requirement, of an active duty military licensee who provides one of the following:
AF Form 899
Copies of the above may be faxed to 502-429-3336 (Lvl). Upon receipt of the required document, your license may be renewed through the next licensure period.
A renewal application must be submitted.
If you are active duty military AND will be deployed overseas during the renewal period, you have two options:
1. Submit a copy of the official overseas deployment orders showing a return date to KBN. Your license will be renewed to reflect an expiration date through the renewal period that corresponds with your deployment orders. You will not be required to pay the renewal fee, and you will be exempt from meeting the continuing competency requirement. You are not required to submit a fee, and you are exempt from meeting the continuing competency requirement.
2. Do nothing until you are reassigned to the USA. You will have 90 days after your return to request the renewal of your license. You must submit a copy of the orders you receive for your reassignment to the United States. You will not be required to pay the renewal fee, and you will be exempt from meeting the continuing competency requirement.
NOTE: If you answer "yes" in error to the military question you may fax the correction letter to 502-782-2754.
Paper Renewal Application Request
NOTE: Requests for paper renewals will not be accepted until September 15th.
Complete a paper application request form [PDF Format - 86KB], return to KBN with a check or money order in the amount of $40.
The $40 paper application fee is IN ADDITION TO the renewal fee.
After KBN receives the request form and the $40 fee, you will be mailed a renewal application.
Allow 2 weeks for a paper application to be reviewed and a license renewed.