Pursuant to KRS 12.355, active duty (full-time) members of the Armed Forces of the United States (Army, Navy, Marine Corps, Air Force, Coast Guard) who hold a professional license(s) or certification(s) may retain that license to practice during their active duty and for six months thereafter without paying renewal fees or completing continuing education.
- Is not encumbered or restricted;
- Is free to practice during that time;
- Must renew his or her license within six months from discharge from active duty
Pursuant to KRS 36.450, the licenses of active duty members of the Armed Forces who are deployed overseas, including Reservists and National Guard called to active duty, are automatically extended while deployed. Thus, a license held by one of those individuals does not expire if renewal occurs during deployment. The possession of the license along with orders for overseas deployment constitute a de facto extension of the license until the licensee formally renews his or her license with the Board. KRS 36.450(3)(a).
- Has ninety days upon their return from deployment to renew their license with the Board;
- Is allowed to practice during the ninety day extended period
An email will be sent to any licensed nurse that has indicated on a recent renewal application that you were either
- Active-duty military and/or
- Active-duty deployed
As you are aware, Kentucky state law allows you to:
- Renew your license without payment of renewal fees or completion of continuing education;
- Have the license automatically extended while deployed and for ninety days thereafter
HOWEVER, the Kentucky Board of Nursing has received repeated inquiries indicating that Department of Defense (DOD) officials representing branches of the armed forces view these benefits under state law as constituting a restriction on that license. While that is not the intent of state law, the Board of Nursing is without authority to affect these policies of the armed forces.
Board of Nursing is offering an option to licensees who are members of the
armed forces. The licensee has to opportunity
to voluntarily pay the renewal fees associated with their license. This process has been put in place in the
event the licensee needs to do so to conform to DOD policy.
The licensee has the opportunity to voluntarily pay the renewal fees associated with your license in the event that you need to do so to conform to DOD policy.
If you would like to voluntarily pay renewal fees associated with your license for the 2018-2019 renewal year, you may do so by:
- Mailing a check in the amount of $65.00 to:
- Kentucky Board of Nursing
- ATTN: Courtney Gilmore
- 312 Whittington Parkway
- Suite 300
- Louisville, KY 40222-5172.
- Pay by phone with credit or debit card, you may contact Ms. Gilmore at 502-429-7182 or Courtney.Gilmore@ky.gov.
If you would like to make this voluntary payment, please do so on or before JUNE 1, 2019.
The renewal fees are as follows:
- RN: $65.00
- LPN: $65.00
- APRN: $55.00 per role designation
- SANE: $50.00
2019-2020 Renewal Cycle
In preparation for renewing your license for the next renewal cycle, please be aware in order for the DOD policy to view your license as unrestricted you will be required to:
- Pay renewal fees and;
- Obtain continuing education contact hours
Please make preparations to obtain the appropriate number of continuing education contact hours during the 2019-2020 accrual period should you wish conform to those DOD policies. Also, you will be given the option to make the voluntary renewal fee payment during that renewal process.
If you have any questions about this issue, you may contact Ruby King at 502-429-3331 or Ruby.King@ky.gov. You may obtain further information about this issue on the Board’s website at https://kbn.ky.gov/military/Pages/default.aspx.