RN & APRN Licensure Information
To prescribe controlled substances in Kentucky you must:
- Have been licensed /registered/certified as an APRN for at least one year.
- Enter into a CAPA-CS with a licensed physician. Form may be obtained from:
CAPA-NS [PDF Format - 276KB] & CAPA-CS Forms.
- Submit a Notification of a CAPA-CS form [PDF Format - 96KB] to KBN.
- Submit a copy of all DEA licenses currently held in all states
- Fax to: 502-429-3336
- Email to: Curtwand.Lowther@ky.gov
- Mail to:
- Kentucky Board of Nursing
- 312 Whittington Parkway
- Suite 300
- Louisville, KY 40222
5. Have and maintain a Kentucky ALL Schedule Prescription Electronic Reporting System (KASPER) account
6. Notify KBN immediately of any Rescission of a CAPA-CS [PDF Format - 88KB]. Form may be completed by either the APRN or physician.
7. Notify KBN immediately of any practice site address changes [PDF Format - 24KB]. Use this form only when the physical address of the practice changes NOT when rescinding a current CAPA-CS agreement.
Additional APRN Collaborative Agreement Forms
NOTE: When submitting the Notification of a CAPA-CS form to KBN you must provide a copy of your DEA license when received.
Required Title for Advanced Practice Registered Nurses
(1) APRN is the legal, licensure title for all NPs, CNMs, CRNAs, and qualifying CNSs. (KRS 314.042). That title should always be used by any currently licensed APRN. It should precede any certification title such as FNP or CRNA, if the person wants to use those titles.
(2) The academic degree (MSN, Ph.D., DNP, etc) may be used; it is not required. If it is used, there is no law on where it is placed, i.e. before or after licensure title of APRN. An individual who holds a doctoral degree should be aware of KRS 164.298(2) and KRS 311.375 which state that if a person uses the title Doctor or Dr., they must also use their doctoral credentials, i.e. DNP.
KBN Recognized APRN Certification Population Foci
KBN recognizes the following population foci for APRN-NP and APRN-CNS designations:
- Adult (Acute & Primary Care)
- Adult Gerontology (Acute & Primary Care)
- Pediatric (Acute & Primary Care)
- Women's Health
- Adult Psych Mental Health
- Family Psych Mental Health (Across the Lifespan)
- Acute Care - (Across the Lifespan)
- Adult Gerontology
- Child/Adol Psych Mental Health
- Adult Psych Mental Health
- Psych Mental Health (Across the Lifespan)
Currently licensed Kentucky APRNs who fail to continually renew APRN licensure and national certification in community health, critical care, oncology and/or school population foci will be unable to reinstate APRN licensure in those foci.
Note: KBN is now able to reflect two population foci on our online validation. If you are certified in more than one population foci, you may send that information to KBN via fax to 502-429-3336.
Proof of certification and recertification may be mailed emailed or faxed to KBN at:
Kentucky Board of Nursing
312 Whittington Parkway
Louisville, KY 40222
Fax to: 502-429-3336
Email to: firstname.lastname@example.org