Kentucky may issue a one-time only Temporary Permit (TP) to endorsement applicants when certain regulatory requirements are met. A TP allows the applicant to practice nursing in Kentucky while awaiting a permanent Kentucky nursing license.
Frequently Asked Questions
Q: Who is eligible for a temporary permit (TP)?
A: Applicants for licensure by endorsement who have been licensed by another state's board of nursing are eligible for a TP.
Q: What are the requirements to receive a TP?
A: A Temporary Permit will be issued when the following information is received:
- A completed endorsement application and fee of $165.00.
- State Background Report
- Federal Background Report
- An official transcript with degree and graduation date posted,
when licensure is received in California, or otherwise when needed.
- Complete the Kentucky Jurisprudence Exam
Q: When does a TP expire?
A: A TP is valid for 6 months from the date of issue. It cannot be extended, and you may only be issued a TP one time.
Q: How does a TP affect my ability to practice nursing?
A: You may practice within the full scope and practice of a registered nurse or licensed practical nurse with a TP.
Q: When will I be issued a permanent license?
A: Within 14 days of receipt of ALL the following, a license will be issued:
- A completed application and fee of $165.00
- Fingerprint card report from KSP of $13.25 (please allow 2-3 weeks for processing)
- Validation or original licensure from your state of original licensure or NurSys .
- Kentucky State Background Check through the Administrative Office of the Courts $27.00
- Completion of the Kentucky Jurisprudence exam $15.00
Q: What happens if my TP expires and I am not licensed by KBN?
A: If your TP expires and you do not hold a Kentucky nursing license, you must reapply to Kentucky for a license, pay the application
fee, and cease working as a nurse in Kentucky until all requirements are met and your permanent license is issued.
- The TP CANNOT be extended, and you CANNOT be issued a second TP.
- It is YOUR responsibility to assure that all requirements are met before your TP expires.
Q: Can my employer validate that I have a TP?
A: Primary source validation of a TP can be done by you or your employer from the KBN website at no cost.
If you need additional information, click on the Endorsement Contact Form and submit your question(s).