APRN Prescriptive Authority for Controlled Substances - CAPA-CS


Senate Bill 65, giving APRNs prescriptive authority for controlled substances, was signed by the Governor on March 6, 2006 and became effective July 12, 2006.  APRNs, however, will not begin to issue controlled substance prescriptions until the following items are completed by the APRN:

  1. Has been registered/certified to practice as an APRN for at least one year.
  2. Establish a written CAPA-CS that meets the requirements in KRS 314.042.  
  3. Apply for and receive a Controlled Substances Registration Certificate containing your Drug Enforcement Agency (DEA) number.
  4. Notify KBN of any CAPA-CS you have entered into by filing the KBN Notification of CAPA-CS Form [KBN Format - 88KB] for each agreement.

The Kentucky Coalition of Nurse Practitioners and Nurse Midwives website The Kentucky Coalition of Nurse Practitioners and Nurse Midwives website offers editable CAPA Forms at no charge.  The Kentucky Coalition's website address is www.kcnpnm.org External Link - You are now leaving the .gov domain.

Prior to issuing prescriptions for controlled substances, the APRN should order and be prepared to use prescription pads that meet the requirements of KRS 218A.180 and 902 KAR 55:105.

Questions about APRN prescriptive authority may be addressed to Myra Goldman, APRN Education & Practice Consultant at 502-429-3315​ or toll free 1-800-305-2042, ext. 3315 or Michael West at 502-429-3309.

See APRN Prescriptive Authority for Nonscheduled Legend Drugs for additional information.​​​​​​​​

See Also...

APRN Prescriptive Authority for Nonscheduled Legend Drugs
Includes CAPA-NS form and information.

Form: Rescission of a CAPA-CS
Rescind a current CAPA-CS agreement with a physician.

Contact Us...

APRN Practice Contact Form
Questions regarding APRN practice issues and CAPAs may also be directed to:

Myra Goldman, APRN/Nursing Practice Consultant, at 502-429-3315 or toll-free at 1-800-305-2042, ext 3315.

Nathan Goldman, General Counsel, at 502-429-3309 or toll-free at 1-800-305-2042, Ext. 3309.