To practice as an APRN in Kentucky, you must maintain:
- A current Kentucky RN license or a current RN multistate, compact license and
- A current Kentucky APRN license, including a current national certification in a KBN approved population foci that is on file with the Board
Practicing without a current RN license, APRN license, and national certification is a violation of Kentucky law and subjects an individual to disciplinary action.
Obtain your APRN License in Kentucky
Select the following applicable option:
Apply for your initial Kentucky APRN license using your current Kentucky RN license
Apply for your initial Kentucky APRN license using your current multistate, compact RN license
Endorse your APRN license issued by another state using your current multistate, compact RN license
Endorse your RN and APRN licenses from another state
Endorse your RN license from another state and apply for your initial Kentucky APRN license
Reinstate both your lapsed Kentucky RN and APRN licenses
Reinstate your lapsed Kentucky APRN license only, using your current Kentucky RN license or current multistate, compact license
Licensure Renewal (September 15 – October 31)
Nurse licensure renewal occurs every year between September 15 – October 31. Information regarding renewals and the renewal application will be available during that time period. Please visit the KBN website during that time period for additional information.
Nurse Licensure Compact (Multistate, Compact LPN or RN License)
Obtain information about the Nurse Licensure Compact (NLC) for LPN and RN licenses, including information on primary state of residence and what to do if you are moving to or from another compact state. There is not currently an APRN compact.
Additional Licensure Information
APRN Portal/APRN Update
- DEA Registration
- Collaborative Agreement for Non-Scheduled Legend Drugs (CAPA-NS)**
- Collaborative Agreement for the Prescriptive Authority for Controlled Substances (CAPA-CS)**
- KASPER Master Account Verification Certificate
Obtain more information and upload the required documentation.
* Sample forms can be located above or in the
KBN Document Library.
Substance Use Disorder – KARE Program
Obtain information about the Kentucky Alternative Recovery Effort (KARE).
How to File a Self-Complaint or Complaint Regarding the Actions of an APRN
Obtain information about how to file a self-complaint or complaint regarding the actions of an APRN.
Obtain information about disciplinary monitoring.
Obtain information regarding laws applicable to your license, legal opinions, information on administrative hearings, and proposed regulations.
Reporting Criminal Convictions, Actions in Another State, and Termination or Suspension of Professional or Business License
KRS 314.109 – Reporting a Criminal Conviction
Any person under the jurisdiction of the board shall, within ninety (90) days of entry of an order or judgment, notify the board in writing of any misdemeanor or felony criminal conviction, except traffic-related misdemeanors other than operating a motor vehicle under the influence of drugs or alcohol, in this or any other jurisdiction. The person shall submit a certified or attested copy of the order and a letter of explanation.
Pursuant to 201 KAR 20:230, in addition to the other requirements, to be eligible for renewal of licensure, applicants shall submit certified copies of court records of any misdemeanor or felony convictions with a letter of explanation. Documentation must be received by the board and reviewed by the board prior to the application being processed. If you will need to submit documentation during the renewal process, you are encouraged to do this at the beginning of the renewal period. Traffic misdemeanors, other than DUIs, do not have to be reported to the Board during renewals.
201 KAR 20:230 – Reporting Actions in Another State
Pursuant to 201 KAR 20:230, in addition to the other requirements, to be eligible for renewal of licensure, applicants shall submit certified copies of any disciplinary actions taken in other jurisdictions with a letter of explanation or report any disciplinary action pending on nursing or other professional or business licenses in other jurisdictions.
KRS 314.108 – Reporting the Discipline, Termination, or Suspension of a Professional or Business License
(1) Any person licensed by the board shall, within thirty (30) days of the entry of a final order, notify the board in writing if any professional or business license that is issued to the person by any agency of the Commonwealth or any other jurisdiction is subject to disciplinary action. The person shall submit a certified copy of the order and a letter of explanation.
(2) An applicant for licensure shall notify the board in writing if any professional or business license that was issued to the person by any agency of the Commonwealth or any other jurisdiction is surrendered or terminated under threat of disciplinary action, or is refused, suspended, or revoked, or if renewal of continuance is denied. The person shall submit a certified copy of the order and a letter of explanation with his or her application.