Please review the below list of application requirements and additional information
Complete the application and submit the fee.
Complete online application
- Applications are valid for one year. If requirements are not met within one year, your application will expire and you will have to start the process over again.
- Pay application fee of $165 (ALL FEES ARE NON-REFUNDABLE)
- You are encouraged to complete the online application; however, if you would like to request a paper application visit the KBN Document Library and use the keywords
paper application request – endorsement to obtain the request form. There is a $40 fee for the paper application in addition to the endorsement application fee of $165.
Pass the Jurisprudence Exam with a score of 80% or higher
- Complete the
Jurisprudence Examination after completing the endorsement application.
- The Jurisprudence Examination cannot be accessed prior to having a current application on file with the KBN.
Complete the state and federal criminal background check through IdentoGO®.
Request the verification of licensure be submitted to the KBN
- Request that the verification of licensure be sent to the Kentucky Board of Nursing from the state where you took and passed the NCLEX and received your license by examination.
- This request should be made through
Nursys if your state is a participating board. There is a fee of $30 that is paid to Nursys and not to the KBN. This fee is subject to change without notice.
- If your state is not listed on NURSYS you will need to complete the verification of licensure form to another state board and contact that board of nursing to determine the fee. The verification of licensure form can be located in the KBN Document Library using the search terms
verification of licensure.
Submit your transcript, if applicable.
If you were licensed from one of the following states, you must request that your nursing program send KBN an official transcript, with degree and graduation date posted.
An official transcript is a transcript that is sent directly from the program of nursing, through a clearinghouse to the KBN, or a copy obtained by the applicant that is in the original sealed, unopened envelope from the program of nursing.
- California* (A temporary permit will not be issued to nurses who completed a program of nursing in and were originally licensed in California until the transcript is received
If your education was received in Puerto Rico prior to September 1, 2006, your official transcript may be requested.
Transcripts can be sent electronically via a clearinghouse such as Parchment or the program of nursing directly to the KBN to the email address: email@example.com
Transcripts may also be mailed to:
- Kentucky Board of Nursing
- ATTN: Endorsement
- 312 Whittington Pkwy., Suite 300
- Louisville, Kentucky 40222
Submit proof of Continuing Education, if applicable.
Nurses who have been licensed longer than 5 years, but have not practiced as a nurse for 500 hours within the past 5 years will need to submit 120 hours of continuing education. These must be earned within a year of application date. (This does not apply to new graduates)
In addition, within three years of obtaining a Kentucky license the following two CEs must be obtained:
Domestic Violence and
Pediatric Abusive Head Trauma (Shaken Baby Syndrome).
Reporting Criminal Convictions
If you have any criminal convictions, they will need to be reported on your application for endorsement. The exception to this is traffic misdemeanors, other than DUIs. For information about what qualifies as a criminal conviction use the keywords Reporting Criminal Convictions to view the Reporting Criminal Convictions Brochure in the KBN Document Library.