Effective January 13, 2022, per 201 KAR 20:215 all nurses must complete mandatory continuing education contact hours in suicide prevention and implicit bias.
All nurses must complete content specific requirements* in suicide prevention and implicit bias.
Nurses actively licensed on July 1, 2022 must complete these hours by
July 1, 2023.
Nurses who obtain a license by examination, endorsement, or reinstatement after July 1, 2022 must complete these hours within 3 years of licensure.
Suicide Prevention - 2 Total Contact Hoursmplicit Bias - 1.5 Total Contact Hours
|Suicide Prevention - 2 Total Contact Hours ||Implicit Bias - 1.5 Total Contact Hours |
- One (1) contact hour of suicide prevention generally; and
- One (1) contact hour which addresses the following:
- Chronic toxic stress and secondary traumatic stress potentially increasing the incidence of suicide amongst nurses;
- A confidential and standardized pathway to care for nurses that addresses screening, assessing, safety planning, referrals, and follow-up for nurses at risk for suicide;
- Systems of care, evidence-informed approaches, and best practices to reduce suicide rates; and
- Ethical legal considerations of caring for patients and nurses who are suicidal.
- One and one-half (1.5) contact hours that address the following:
- The impact of historical racism and other forms of invidious discrimination on the provision of healthcare;
- Methods of evaluating the presence and extent of implicit bias; and
- Measures that may be taken to reduce implicit bias.
*Both are one-time requirements.
These hours may be completed at any KBN approved/accepted provider as long as they contain the specific topics listed in the table above.
However, the Kentucky Nurses Association (KNA) has developed courses that specifically meet these requirements. If interested, contact the KNA at
When selecting a CE offering, be sure the provider is approved to offer nursing CE by the KBN, another state board of nursing, or one of the national nursing organizations listed in 201 KAR 20:220 and verify the objectives include the topics listed above.
Maintain all continuing education records for at least 5 years. All documents related to these courses including announcements, presentation schedules and completion certificates should be maintained in your own records. You will not need to send them to the Board unless you are selected for the CE Audit. If selected for the CE Audit, you will be notified and required to submit these documents through CE Broker.
RNs and LPNs may use the contact hours completed for these requirements towards the 14 contact hours required annually for the earning period in which they are completed.
APRNs may not apply hours earned in suicide prevention and implicit bias to their annual CE pharmacology requirements
Additional information on continuing education requirements is found at https://kbn.ky.gov/Education/Pages/Continuing-Education-Competency.aspx.