The Continuing Education Audit
What is the KBN Continuing Education Audit?
Every year the KBN selects nurses at random to provide proof of completion of continuing education competency requirements. KBN CE Audit notifications are sent via email from CE Broker in February each year.
If you were selected to undergo the CE Audit, follow the steps below to provide the necessary documentation that will demonstrate compliance with the CE requirements for the earning period. The earning period is the same as the renewal period, and runs from November 1 through October 31.
The deadline to report and upload documentation for the CE Audit changes annually. The date of submission will be included in the CE Audit notice.
How do I Verify Continuing Education Competency for the CE Audit?
Provide documentation for the KBN CE Audit.
Review the CE Competency Requirements CE Brochure found in the
- An option form for RNs and LPNs to verify continuing education competency is found in the document library.
- A form listing APRN continuing education requirements and the necessary documents to verify compliance is available in the document library.
Gather the required certificates and documents.
- Review documents to be sure they are complete.
- Continuing education completion certificates must include:
- Your name;
- Date of completion;
- Number of contact hours awarded;
- The approved provider's information; and
- Who approved the providership to offer nursing continuing education.
- In the document library, you will find a list of KBN approved providers
- KBN also accepts courses completed through providers approved by other state boards of nursing and the national nursing organizations listed in
201 KAR 20:220.
Accessing and Reporting in CE Broker
- Create and access your Free Basic CE Broker account. Information regarding CE Broker and activation of or access to an account is available at CE Broker.
- Although CE Broker offers accounts with additional features for a fee, the only account necessary to report and upload proof of completion of CE requirements is the Free Basic account.
- Report and upload all required documentation following the prompts in CE Broker and click submit.
Be Advised CE Broker does not review or verify all submissions for accuracy or compliance with relevant continuing education requirements. It is the responsibility of each licensee to upload and report CE information accurately, to comply with applicable CE requirements, and to maintain all CE records for a period of at least 5 years. During the CE Audit, KBN staff will review all submissions for nurses selected for the audit. Follow the prompts in CE Broker to report and upload each document once in the correct area.
FAQs regarding CE Audit and Reporting