The Continuing Education Audit
What is the KBN Continuing Education Audit?
Every year the KBN selects nurses at random to provide proof of completion of continuing education competency requirements. KBN CE Audit notifications are sent via email from CE Broker in February each year.
If you were selected to undergo the CE Audit, follow the steps below to provide the necessary documentation that will demonstrate compliance with the CE requirements for the earning period. The earning period is the same as the renewal period, and runs from November 1 through October 31.
The deadline to report and upload documentation for the CE Audit changes annually. The date of submission will be included in the CE Audit notice.
How do I Verify Continuing Education Competency for the CE Audit?
Provide documentation for the KBN CE Audit.
Review the CE Competency Requirements CE Brochure found in the
- An option form for RNs and LPNs to verify continuing education competency.
- A form listing APRN continuing education requirements and the necessary documents to verify compliance is available.
Gather the required certificates and documents.
- Review documents to be sure they are complete.
- Continuing education completion certificates must include:
- Your name;
- Date of completion;
- Number of contact hours awarded;
- The approved provider's information; and
- Who approved the providership to offer nursing continuing education.
- In the document library, you will find a list of KBN approved providers
approved providers. Search for Continuing Education
- KBN also accepts courses completed through providers approved by other state boards of nursing and the national nursing organizations listed in
201 KAR 20:220.
Accessing and Reporting in CE Broker
- Create and access your Free Basic CE Broker account. Information regarding CE Broker and activation of or access to an account is available at
- Although CE Broker offers accounts with additional features for a fee, the only account necessary to report and upload proof of completion of CE requirements is the Free Basic account.
- Report and upload all required documentation through your CE Broker account. Follow the steps below to report and provide proof of completion of CE.
- Select +Report CE;
- Select Begin next to the appropriate type or category. (Some categories maybe listed under the additional options tab.);
- Answer the questions as prompted, clicking continue to advance after each question. (Information to answer the questions should be included on the document you are submitting.);
- When you are finished reporting and uploading documents, click Submit.
Examples of how to report CE through CE Broker are available in the document library. Search for: How do I self-report CE? or How to report a National Certification.
When Reporting and Uploading Documents be sure:
- Each document provides the required information;
- Report and upload each document individually;
- Do not submit duplicate copies of the same item; and
- Do not submit a list of courses. The KBN does not accept lists of courses, only valid completion certificates.
During the CE Audit, KBN staff will review all submissions for nurses selected for the audit.
FAQs regarding CE Audit and Reporting