Filing a Complaint
Per your request, you may now submit complaint(s) regarding violation(s) of the Kentucky Nursing Laws online.
All complaints received by the Board are investigated. A member of KBN staff will contact you if more information is needed. There may be a considerable time lapse between the submitting of the complaint and the resolution.
To file a complaint, click on the appropriate Online Complaint Form provided below, complete the required fields and submit.
Mail the following information as applicable:
- Certification of Records [PDF Format - 40KB]
- Personnel file including the initial application, performance evaluations, and disciplinary actions
- Medical records, including nurse notes, physician orders, medication administration records and narcotic records
- Witness statements
- Drug screen results including the chain of custody forms
- Facility investigative reports
- Relevant policies and procedures
- Any other information relevant to the complaint
This information is necessary to assist staff in substantiating the allegations in the complaint. If you are unable to provide the information without a subpoena, one will be issued after the complaint is submitted. The subpoena will be sent to you by United States Postal Services certified mail.
...more on Complaints Against Nurses Process
To expedite the processing of complaints, there are two types of complaint links provided below. One link is for facilities and the other for consumers. Using the appropriate link, please submit the correct names, addresses, and telephone numbers, of all persons named in the complaint, including that of the complainant, the nurse, and all others. All fields should be completed as required. When the requested information is not known, you should enter NA (Not Applicable).
Mail or fax all other relevant information regarding the complaint to the address below:
Attention: Consumer Protection Branch
Kentucky Board of Nursing
312 Whittington Pky, Ste 300
Louisville, KY 40222-5172
Fax number: 502-429-3353
A complaint is confidential until the matter has been resolved. Staff and Board members may not discuss the complaint with any outside individual; unless written permission is given to KBN from the licensee who is under investigation.
Final Actions of the Board are subject to the Open Records Act and are reported to the following agencies:
- National Council of State Boards of Nursing (NCSBN)
- Office of Inspector General (OIG)
- Health and Integrity and Protection Data Bank (HIPDB)
- KBN Connection Newsletter
- American Council of Nurse Midwives (ACNM)
- American Nurses Credentialing Center (ANCC)
- American Association of Nurse Anesthetists (AANA)
- Other Boards of Nursing