Self Test for Drug Addiction
If you think you, or someone you know, has a problem with drugs, here are 29 questions written by recovering addicts in Narcotics Anonymous and are helpful in determining if you are addict, regardless of what the drug of choice may be.
Answer these questions yes or no as honestly and truthfully as possible.
- Do you ever use alone?
- Have you ever substituted one drug for another, thinking that one particular drug was the problem?
- Have you ever manipulated or lied to a doctor to obtain prescription drugs?
- Have you ever stolen/diverted drugs or stolen things to obtain drugs?
- Do you regularly use a drug when you wake up or when you go to bed?
- Have you ever taken one drug to overcome the effects of another?
- Do you avoid people and places that do not approve of you using drugs?
- Have you ever used a drug without knowing what it was or what it would do to you?
- Has your job or school performance ever suffered from the effects of your drug use?
- Have you ever been arrested as a result of using drugs?
- Have you ever lied about what or how much you use?
- Do you put the purchase of drugs ahead of your financial responsibilities?
- Have you tried to stop or control your using?
- Have you ever been in jail, hospital or drug rehabilitation center because of your using?
- Does using interfere with your sleeping or eating?
- Does the thought of running out of drugs terrify you?
- Do you feel it is impossible for you to live without drugs?
- Do you ever question your own sanity?
- Is your drug use making life at home unhappy.
- Have you ever thought you couldn't fit in or have a good time without using drugs?
- Have you ever felt defensive, guilty, or ashamed about your using?
- Do you think alot about drugs?
- Have you had irrational or indefinable fears?
- Has using affected your sexual relationships?
- Have you ever taken drugs you didn't prefer?
- Have you ever used drugs because of pain or stress?
- Have you ever overdosed on any drug?
- Do you continue to use despite negative consequences?
- Do you think you might have a drug problem?
If you answered yes to any one of the questions above, this is a warning that you may be an addict.
If you answered yes to any two of the questions above, the chances are that you are an addict and should seek help.
If you answered yes to three or more of the questions above, you are an addict and need to seek help immediately.
...contact the KARE for Nurses Program