The KBN Strategic Plan includes the agency's mission, core values, vision, and goals.
...View KBN Organization Chart [PDF Format - 16k]
The Kentucky Board of Nursing protects the well-being of the public by development and enforcement of state laws governing the safe practice of nursing, nursing education, and credentialing.
In order to protect the public, we are committed to:
Excellence – Excellence and quality by delivering consistent, effective, and efficient services.
Integrity – Honesty, fairness, and objectivity in the development and enforcement of laws and regulations.
Responsiveness – Taking initiative, communicating openly, and demonstrating care and concern in all endeavors.
Collaboration – Working in a cooperative spirit while maintaining respect for all individuals.
We aspire to:
- Deliver benchmark quality services in healthcare regulation.
- Meet the challenges of a dynamic and ever-changing healthcare environment.
- Have an organizational environment that fosters creativity, innovation, and outstanding leadership.
- Have a committed and appropriately compensated Board/staff who have exceptional knowledge and skills.
- Achieve integration of regulatory efforts affecting the health of the public.
- Have effective and efficient board functions.
Goal I: Sound defensible, regulatory practices that protect the public through a Just Culture model.
- Create opportunities for interagency policy development and collaboration.
- Continue enhancements for the disciplinary action processes.
- Continue enhancements for the alternative to disciplinary action processes.
- Increase public awareness and understanding of the role and purpose of the Board of Nursing.
- Increase the public’s participation in regulatory decision making.
- Continue to plan and evaluate the nursing education requirements, practice issues, and competency determination.
- Regulate nurses and persons who provide nursing related acts.
Goal II: Efficient delivery of services that meet the needs of consumers and regulated entities.
- Maintain an organizational structure that promotes effective utilization of agency resources.
- Enhance communications and positive image of KBN.
- Continue to implement workflow redesign for selected agency services.
- Monitor mutual recognition initiatives.
- Continue electronic enhancements to licensure and credentialing processes.
Goal III: Optimal use of technology that supports agency services.
- Plan for implementation of the agency Information Resources Plan.
- Improve utilization of communications technology.
- Explore new technologies to enhance agency and board functions.
Goal IV: An organizational culture that promotes job satisfaction and career development.
- Increase staff involvement in agency planning and policy implementation.
- Enhance orientation and development programs for the members of the Board, committees, and councils.
- Enhance means to increase service recognition of volunteers, Board and staff members.
- Monitor and maintain appropriate compensation for employees and Board members.
- Increase understanding of job functions throughout the agency.