RN and LPN Endorsement
All online licensure applications will be unavailable from 4:30 pm (Eastern Time) on Tuesday, July 29 until 8:30 am (Eastern Time) on Thursday, July 31.
Please be aware and plan accordingly.
Apply for licensure by endorsement if you were licensed in another state or U.S. jurisdiction and want a Kentucky RN or LPN license.
Applications and documents are reviewed within 14 days. However, if you respond "Yes" to the disciplinary or conviction questions it can take up to 3 months to process your application.
||Click on the following
º Were educated outside of the United States or
educated in Puerto Rico after
September 1, 2006.
º Are endorsing both, an RN and APRN license.
NOTE: The endorsement application is valid for six months. You have six (6) months to complete the endorsement process before the application expires; if the application expires before a temporary permit or license has been issued you will have to submit a new application, fingerprint card and fees. Click on the following link to check your Application status after applying to see what is needed to complete the endorsement process.
Requirements for RN/LPN License:
Click here for more information on reporting
KRS 314.011(21) defines conviction as an unvacated adjudication of guilt, pleading no contest or nolo contendere, entering an Alford plea, or entering a guilty plea pursuant to a pretrial diversion order regardless of whether the penalty is rebated, suspended, or probated.
- Complete the Kentucky Jurisprudence Exam online after completing the endorsement application.
Click on Application Status to access
the link to the exam after you have applied with KBN
Go to Jurisprudence Examination for
more information on the exam
- Submit evidence of earning two (2) hours of KBN-approved continuing education in HIV/AIDS [PDF Format - 8KB] earned within the past twenty four (24) months. The HIV/AIDS certificate may be faxed to
(502) 782-2754 attn: Endorsement.
Note: Click here for information on the Domestic Violence and Pediatric Abusive Head Trauma continuing education that is required within three (3) years of obtaining your KY nursing license.
- Verification of Original Licensure
(Verification of licensure is required from the state in which you took and passed NCLEX)
- Transcripts: If you were licensed from a program of nursing in one of the following states, you must request your nursing program to send KBN an official transcript, with degree and graduation date posted.
* A temporary permit will not be issued to nurses who completed a program of nursing in and were originally licensed in CA until the transcript is received.
- Click on the following if you have not practiced at least 500 hours within the past 5 years. (Not Required for New Graduates)
Click on the following link:
||Paper Application Request Form
The application requires an additional fee when the application is submitted via paper. There is no additional fee if these forms are submitted electronically. Please fill out and submit the request form along with the additional fee.
Paper Application Request Form - Endorsement [PDF Format - 94KB]