Advanced Practice Registered Nurses Authorized to Prescribe Controlled Substances
To prescribe controlled substances in Kentucky you must:
1. Have been licensed /registered/certified as an APRN for at least one year.
2. Enter into a CAPA-CS with a licensed physician. Form may be obtained from Downloadable CAPA-NS & CAPA-CS Forms.
3. Submit a Notification of a CAPA-CS form [PDF Format - 100KB] to KBN.
4. Submit a copy of all DEA licenses currently held in all states.
a. Fax to 502-429-3336
b. Email to Ruby.King@ky.gov
c. USPS to:
Kentucky Board of Nursing
312 Whittington Parkway
Louisville, KY 40222
5. Have and maintain a Kentucky ALL Schedule Prescription Electronic Reporting System (KASPER) account.
6. Notify KBN immediately of any Rescission of a CAPA-CS [PDF Format - 88KB]. Form may be completed by either the APRN or physician.
7. Notify KBN immediately of any practice site address changes [PDF Format - 24KB]. Use this form only when the physical address of the practice changes NOT when rescinding a current CAPA-CS agreement.
||Required Title for Advanced Practice Registered Nurses
(1) APRN is the legal, licensure title for all NPs, CNMs, CRNAs, and qualifying CNSs. (KRS 314.042). That title should always be used by any currently licensed APRN. It should precede any certification title such as FNP or CRNA, if the person wants to use those titles.
(2) The academic degree (MSN, Ph.D., DNP, etc) may be used; it is not required. If it is used, there is no law on where it is placed, i.e. before or after licensure title of APRN. An individual who holds a doctoral degree should be aware of KRS 164.298(2) and KRS 311.375 which state that if a person uses the title Doctor or Dr., they must also use their doctoral credentials, i.e. DNP.
||KBN Recognized APRN Certification Population Foci
Effective January 10, 2011, KBN recognizes the following population foci for APRN-NP and APRN-CNS designations:
- Acute Care
- Adult Psych Mental Health
- Child/Adolescent Psych Mental Health
- Family Psych Mental Health
- Women's Health
Currently licensed Kentucky APRNs who fail to continually renew APRN licensure and national certification in community health, critical care, oncology and/or school population foci will be unable to reinstate APRN licensure in those foci.